aztec

Monday, July 29, 2013

The biggest coincidence ever

So, while I was climbing St. Helens (sound familiar??), Benji said McKinley had started complaining about her tongue hurting.  When I got home she complained to me too, so I looked at her tongue, and sure enough, she had some prominent sores on the left tip. I automatically assumed they were canker sores, since I frequently get them in my mouth too, and treated her pain with tylenol. A day after that, she got stung be a bee on her middle finger.  Benji had to pull out the stinger, and when we noticed her finger start to swell, we also observed what we thought were hives developing on the same hand.  The next morning we noticed the hives had spread to her other hand, both knees, and booty, but never on her chest and neck.  We were vigilantly monitoring her reaction because Benji is/was allergic to bees when we was a boy and broke out in severe hives on his chest, even struggling to breath.  A couple days after that, Piper took a bad fall and bit the inside of her lower lip. While the incident was scary and left a huge, open cut in her mouth, we weren't that surprised when she too started complaining about her mouth hurting. I took a deeper look and she too had developed what we thought were canker sores on her tongue. Again, we thought nothing of it because canker sores are often triggered by mouth trauma.  About the same time, I also started noticing Piper was breaking out in hives on her hands, feet and booty, and she was loosing her appetite, supposedly as a result of the sores. We too treated her pain with tylenol.  Then one night before bed, Piper was really cranky and felt as if she had a fever. The next morning the fever was gone, but the next three mornings Piper awoke around 5:30 am.  To top it off, we discovered McKinley's bumps had spread to her lower legs.
Long story short, we decided Piper couldn't catch hives from McKinley, so we investigated their symptoms online.  Everything we had experienced with the girls matched up perfectly with hand, foot and mouth disease.  So there you have it. What we thought were canker sores and hives, was really hand, foot and mouth disease. Needless to say there was a 3-5 day period where they were probably contagious. So I hope we didn't spread it to anyone when we went to CrossFit and church and Indoor Park.  It's been almost two weeks since the initial symptoms reared their ugly head, and McKinley & Piper still have sores on their feet and legs.  Their tongue sores cleared up after about four days, and they slowly regained their appetites.  I think their pain could've been a lot worse, at least from what I've read, so I'm thankful there's didn't last very long.  Here are some random shots totally unrelated to the above post.








One of my faves!

1 comment:

  1. What a great picture of your two lovelies in pigtails at the piano. I love it! Definitely frame-able.

    ReplyDelete