aztec

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

g. d.

Rewind two weeks ago when I was 16 weeks pregnant, I finally completed my 1-hour glucose screening at my last pre-natal appointment.  My midwife had ordered the test pretty early on, considering my last pregnancy's screenings were performed around 28 weeks.  My results were elevated (142: less than 139 is normal range), so I was required to complete the 3-hour glucose diagnostic test, which meant 10 hours of fasting prior.  I was fairly confident that my initial screening was a fluke, possibly a result of eating something sugary before drawing my blood.  So, I was completely shocked when the results of my 3-hour test revealed I have gestational diabetes.
Yesterday, I took a class where I learned about the risks to me and the baby, how to test my blood sugar, and how diet and exercise will most likely control my glucose levels.  I walked away feeling less anxious about this complication and more aware of what I should be eating.  After completing my first full day of testing (4 pricks), my levels were awesome.  My fasting blood sugar, which is taken first thing in the morning should be less than 95, and it was.  And my remaining blood sugars, which are taken 2 hours after each meal should be less than 120, and they were. Score!  I'll email my midwife my weekly glucose levels every Sunday, and she'll determine whether I continue to prick my finger 4 times/day or twice/day. The silver lining with gestational diabetes is that it disappears immediately after giving birth.
On a totally separate note, we find out the gender of our baby this Friday, July 5th. So, stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment