aztec

Saturday, May 5, 2012

My DIY

I've been meaning to post some pictures of my projects.  Expressing my creativity is something that gives me joy.  And whenever I'm in a thrift store, I'm always on the hunt for cheap items I can re-purpose to decorate our home.  I wish I could take credit for most of the projects I've completed, but I guess I'm not that creative. I am inspired by one blog in particular: Under the Sycamore. I've taken Ashley's ideas and DIY projects and made them my own, as you will see below.  In the process, I have become a huge fan of spray paint and even learned how to use a sewing machine.  Next up: I'm repurposing a sling bookcase for the girls' play area and a medicine cabinet thingy for the girls' expanding flower clip collection.

I most recently painted this door with chalkboard paint. I have plans to glue a wooden calendar template above the doorknob. 

I made this bench cushion with some plywood, foam, fabric, and a staple gun.  Super easy! 

Ben actually painted and sanded this old piece of barn wood, and then added some coat hooks.

This is the girls' play area. I love the wall collage.

I got the idea to use hangers to hang pictures here.

I eventually want to purchase some navy blue and white striped fabric from Ikea to make new curtains for our french doors. 

I was inspired to make my own hoop art from Aly's Etsy shop

Our new message board above the desk.

Another great idea from Ashley Ann.

I recovered and spray painted this little desk chair in the living room.

My sister-n-law, Cassie, told me how to make this frame display for hair clips.

This was 100% my own idea, and I loved how it turned out.  It hangs above the crib in the girls' room.

No-sew curtains and a spray-painted curtain rod in our bedroom.

You can find the inspiration to the chicken wire back splash here.

Our upholstered head board took only a couple hours to make and hang.

These pillows were my first attempt at using the sewing machine since 7th grade home ec.

My mom actually did most of the sewing to our bed skirt before Piper was born.  Thanks Mom!

A quick coat of glossy yellow spray paint, and voila, I have a new mirror.

Another pillow.  I am obsessed with ball fringe. 

1 comment:

  1. Sonya, WOW!!!! I love all your decorating, so creative and I'm impressed. I wish I had the knack and eye for doing that. I love the wall collage especially with the verses and blocks and pictures. All of it looks AMAZING! I pray you guys are doing well~Nate sure misses the guys. Your girls are beautiful~I love how you McKinley looks like Ben and Piper like you~what fun! Many blessings, Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete