aztec

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Alumni Picnic

Every summer we look forward to the Naval Academy BBQ hosted by Jack Kohl '65, which celebrates the work of the Blue & Gold Officers.  Last weekend Benji made arrangement to leave work early so we could attend.  We love going because the barbecue is amazing, and there is always a huge selection of home made desserts.  But I love going because it re-connects me with my past.  I met a mother whose son just finished his plebe year, and she told me she was certain my husband had went to the Academy and not me, because I looked like your typical suburban mom.  I didn't know whether to thank her or take offense.  That day I was asked by several people if I would consider being a B&G Officer or speaking at a Parent's Club meeting.  Infact, I had began the process before McKinley was born.  They said having a woman talk to potential female candidates was invaluable.  But I told them my Navy path was unique and probably not desirable.
In the end, I'm proud to be a graduate, class of 2000, but also elated that I came across as just a mother, to so many people I met.


Now that Tessa is crawling, she attempts to follow her sisters.





And Go Ducks!


Alumni Picnic 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment